Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Friday, July 21, 2006
Second Class down...
Last night we had our second adoption class. It was about race and culture. I think they try and discourage adopting out of your race or maybe the classes are designed to bring out the worst of every situation, so when and if it happens you'll be pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as they made it out to be? Who knows?

My DH and I are not prejudiced and we have raised our boys not to be either. They have friends of all different nationalities and they've never brought it up or treated them as anything less than their equals. It matters not one bit to me what nationality or color my daughter is. The teacher kept reiterating that we can't think like that, that it will cause problems. Yes, I will do everything I can so that they don't lose who they are or where they came from but I don't think it has to be as big of an issue. We live in a very diverse neighborhood with white, black, hispanic, indian, egyptian so if our child is darker skinned then we are, she will still blend in seamlessly at school.

One interesting thing I found out at class is that we will not be able to see a picture of our child until we agree to accept her. The reasoning is that they want you to really pay attention to the details instead of just seeing the child and falling in love right away. They feel once you have seen the child you will block out all the negatives and that when you actually have the child you may not be able to commit to what you agreed to. I don't like this at all right now but we'll see how it actually works out.